With an outstanding line-up of invited speakers, exciting social programme and an idyllic setting in the Slovenian Alps, A0 hopes to bring together a wide array of experts.
Call for papers
The A0 Workshop will take place in Bled, Slovenia from 11 to 13 October 2018 on the Adjective as a lexical category. This Workshop is part of “The categorial status of adjectives: from theory to typology, and back again” project (University of Cyprus internal grant no. 8037P-61022), which endeavours to break new linguistic ground by examining the categorial status of adjectives both in terms of typological rigour and theoretical precision.
The aim of the A0 Workshop is to bring together scholars, both established and emerging ones, as well as students. Bled itself, one of the most scenic locations in Central Europe, seems to be ideal in making the whole experience pleasurable as well as productive. Moreover, Bled is ideally situated near several international airports and served by a number of good rail connections.
A0 is open to attend for anyone interested. We particularly welcome students, both international and from the region; we will be happy to offer assistance with practicalities such as travel and accommodation.
- Are adjectives universal? Do they belong to the same ilk as nouns and verbs?
- What cross-linguistic generalisations can be drawn about adjectives as a category?
- Is there a principled, grammar-internal, way to distinguish between intersective and subsective readings of adjectives?
- Do adjectives possess a functional spine of their own – what is sometimes called an Extended Projection?
- What is the role of agreement (concord, ezafe etc.) in the predicative and in the attributive functions of adjectives?
- How important is the role of scalarity and Degree in our understanding of the nature of adjectives?
At this stage we are inviting submissions for 30-minute talks (plus 10 minutes for discussion); depending on the quantity and the quality of submissions, a poster session might also be added to accommodate them.
Abstracts should not exceed 2 (two) A4 pages, including examples, diagrams, and references, with a minimum of 2.5 cm margins, in 11 point typeface. Submission will be handled through Easychair and undergo double-blind peer review.
|1 July||Deadline for abstracts|
|10 September||Early registration deadline|
|11-14 October||A0 workshop (Bled, Slovenia)|
Do not hesitate to contact us via email provided on this website.